Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Carrot Therapy

Carrot Therapy. Its innovative, its original...its an idea I fabricated.

And I confess, I took part in it.
Before the first frost I got down and dirty and pulled all of the carrots up in our garden. I call myself an amateur gardener but I love it.

There is something that comes from working with the land. When we dig, till and turn I feel a primitive connection that helps me to appreciate the beauty and complexity of the things that grow around us. It's not simply throwing some seed on the ground and hoping that it will grow. Gardening takes time and requires knowledge, physical exertion, and lots of patience.

As I pulled the tops of the carrots and dug my hands in to the cold, hard earth I found it peaceful, therapeutic. The beauty of the bright orange carrots covered in dirt signified the harvest at the end of a long season. The carrots were shorter than ones found in the supermarket but when I tasted one I was swept away by the crisp, sweet taste.

More Carrot Therapy for me. Please.

3 comments:

  1. I AM SOOOOO PROUD OF YOU PRECIOUS ANGIE, YOU LOVE GARDENING JUST LIKE YOUR AUNT PATTY!!!!! YOUR CARROTS LOOK FABULOUS! I JUST PUT UP MORE BASIL & OLIVE OIL, OHHHH THE SCENT IS FABULOUS AND I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO USE IT! PRAYING FOR YOU DAILY, LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART AUNT PATTY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Ang! First, I'm jealous that you're going to be getting the first frost! As you know from being here last weekend ... we a ways off from that here and Second ... YUMMY! Those carrots look fabulous! WAY to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm .. did I just write "we a ways??" I must have been trying to get in touch with my more primitive, non verb using side. How about "We are a ways ..." There. That's better.

    ReplyDelete