My mom received the results of the bone marrow biopsy yesterday afternoon.
Remission was denied. She is not in remission.
The chemo did slow the leukemic cells however 5% leukemic cells remain.
While that sounds like good news (which it partly is) 5% wouldn't be much different than a higher percentage because the rate of multiplication is extremely rapid. This rapid metastasizing is due in part to her fighting two types of Leukemia (AML & ALL).
Dr. V is recommending further chemotherapy starting today. He strongly urged Sharon to accept the chemo now as waiting is not in her best interest.
If Sharon does not get these chemo drugs today her time here would be very short - possibly only weeks.
The hope is that this chemo will shock her system and get rid of the 5% of remaining leukemic cells.
Dr. V estimates that Sharon will be in the hospital another 2 weeks. She was admitted 3 weeks ago today. Please pray that her time will pass quickly as she truly loathes being in that tiny room.
As you can probably imagine my Mom was extremely downhearted yesterday. As are all of our family. I'm personally trying to absorb the grave reality and trying to discern what my next steps are.
Please, keep praying for my Mom and check back on this blog and my mom's blog www.strengthofmysoul.blogspot.com for updates.