Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Remission Denied

My mom received the results of the bone marrow biopsy yesterday afternoon.

Remission was denied. She is not in remission.

The chemo did slow the leukemic cells however 5% leukemic cells remain.

While that sounds like good news (which it partly is) 5% wouldn't be much different than a higher percentage because the rate of multiplication is extremely rapid. This rapid metastasizing is due in part to her fighting two types of Leukemia (AML & ALL).

Dr. V is recommending further chemotherapy starting today. He strongly urged Sharon to accept the chemo now as waiting is not in her best interest.

If Sharon does not get these chemo drugs today her time here would be very short - possibly only weeks.

The hope is that this chemo will shock her system and get rid of the 5% of remaining leukemic cells.

Dr. V estimates that Sharon will be in the hospital another 2 weeks. She was admitted 3 weeks ago today. Please pray that her time will pass quickly as she truly loathes being in that tiny room.

As you can probably imagine my Mom was extremely downhearted yesterday. As are all of our family. I'm personally trying to absorb the grave reality and trying to discern what my next steps are.

Please, keep praying for my Mom and check back on this blog and my mom's blog www.strengthofmysoul.blogspot.com for updates.

4 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your mom ... are you in town? Company leaves today ... call me. I can probably drive out to see you ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,
    I've been reading "The Battlefield of the Mind" by Joyce Meyer. Have you read it? It is important to remember that when you are feeling battle weary, Satan can do a number on your mind. Speak forth as many scriptures as you can outloud that promise healing and wholeness and restoration. Every single day I say, "It is written, God will never leave me nor forsake me." It helps me tremendously in my trial. The Word of God is one of our weapons. Also, wear out every worship CD you own! Sing outloud. I know it's hard to right now but praise and worship is also a powerful weapon. I am praying for you and your mom and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie: I spoke with your mom yesterday and she's determined as ever to continue with her treatment. I said that all her friends and neighbors on the block miss her and hope to see her back here soon. She knows to call me if there is anything -- I mean ANYTHING -- she wants. We're here for her and care so much. If there's anything you can think of, please be in touch. All the best, Paulette & Jeff
    BookLoaner@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear it, Angie. Praying for you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete