Saturday, April 3, 2010

Anticipation

On Friday night we joined our faith community in a Good Friday service.

The biblical passages, images of Jesus Christ, and devotional prayers caused me to ponder His suffering, His life, His death and the anticipation of His resurrection.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be in the crowd yelling at Jesus, denying Him, betraying Him and then watching his shameful death on a cross. Its hard to believe that anything good could come out of such tragedy.

But thankfully our loving Father redeems the curse. He accepts the voluntary sacrifice of His Son and exchanges the ugly acts of human violence into redemption and forgiveness.

There are many areas in my life that I want to die to. My selfishness, my propensity to worry, and my desire to be in control take away life. I hope I can release these deaths and receive the Father's love, abundant grace and forgiveness.

I am grateful that I am a loved and redeemed child of God.

The lyrics of the song 'How Deep the Father's Love For Us' resonate with my soul.

How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

The cross, originally representing a shameful death, has become through the work of Jesus the symbol of peace, hope, and life - eternal life.

In Him I can live. His truth is alive.

As we anticipate the celebration of His resurrection I'm longing even more for His living water to spring up in me. I desire the fruits of His Spirit, the depth of His character and the passion of His purpose to awaken inside me like the radiant new dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment