Friday, May 1, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Lately I've been thinking about what it means to raise children to have thankful little hearts. Many of today's children have little or no sense of what it means to be thankful. They are blessed with good health, a bed to sleep in, and too many 'things' which often fosters a sense of entitlement.

Our own actions are often mirrored by our children and it isn’t until we see ourselves in them, do we realize just how much we take for granted on a daily basis.

I desire for my practice of thankful living to be modeled to my little ones. But, modeling a grateful heart can look many different ways.
One way is to regularly practice voicing thanks around the dinner table or during bedtime prayers. "Today I am thankful for..."
Another way is to be thankful or appreciative of one's efforts. This can be as simple as saying "thank you" to your spouse for doing the dishes or voicing affirmation when your child uses good manners, or giving them a hug for doing something without being asked.
Modeling a thankful spirit is only one aspect of developing the virtue of gratefulness in children. For additional thoughts read this practical article: Raising Thankful Kids on christianitytoday.com.

I would also love to hear your thoughts on how to raise grateful children. To do so click on 'comments' at the bottom of this post and you can add your two cents.

2 comments:

  1. Well, this will be something I will be learning how to do during the next several years, and I have you to learn from! I love the picture - Stephen said the kiddos are little replicas of you and Jeff. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in total agreement (by the way love the pic of the kids!). I have seen more of what Lily appreciates and what choices she wants to make after spending some time with a neighbor whose child is older and does not have as good a manners. I think it started to click for her that someone that acts that way is not fun to be around. But more than that, I want her to know that Mommy and Daddy work hard and to not feel entitled to something, or a certain attitude. This will be an ongoing process.

    ReplyDelete